Free Event Empowering Youth!
The Montana Institute is coming to Forsyth County!
Focus: The Science of the Positive. The Science of the Positive is the study of how positive factors impact culture and experience. It focuses on how to measure and grow the positive, and has been applied over decades with agencies, communities, and businesses. It is based on the core assumption that the positive is real and is worth growing – in ourselves, our families, our workplaces, and our communities (Linkenbach, 2007).
The Science of the Positive helps individuals and organizations:
- move from busy to effective
- manage change and foster transformation
- become inspiring, effective leaders
- balance concern with hope
- apply the Positive Community Norms approach to prevention
This all day training event is available FREE to all youth in Forsyth County!
Location: 240 Elm St Cumming GA 30041
Date: July 12th
Time: Coming Soon
RSVP: Director Tammy Nicholson firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Internship Opportunity
Do you enjoy graphic design, witty captions, and working for a good cause? Then you might be our perfect applicant! The Forsyth County Drug Awareness Council is looking for a Social Media Intern to join our growing coalition and serve our quickly growing county. The ideal applicant will have knowledge of the social media environment and practiced use of multiple social media platforms. Responsibilities will include monitoring and posting on social networks, educating themselves and the community about substance abuse prevention and local drug happenings, and optimizing social media for networking opportunities and event promotion. Those looking for valuable experience with a respected organization serving an important cause are encouraged to apply.
Grade Level: A Mature Incoming High School Junior or Senior, or College Student
Hours Per Week: 5 to 10 hours per week
Work Location:Must train in office (240 Elm Street, Cumming, GA 30040) for 1 to 2 weeks, and then can work remotely after training (if desired) except for weekly staff meetings.
Apply by Submitting Your Resume to: Tammy@unitedwayforsyth.com and be sure to put “Social Media Summer Intern” in the Subject Line of your email.
Deadline to Apply: June 10th , 2019
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Program Coordinator to create and implement social media campaigns
- Learn about and Monitor analytic data to identify trends and generate ideas
- Create engaging posts for different demographics
- Research different substances, prevention practices, and recovery related content to post with credibility
- Stay up to date with local happenings, national trends, and other drug and prevention related news
- Network and connect with other coalitions and community organizations through social media
- Work with team to create expand our social media reach and capabilities
Qualifications and Skills
- Working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Graphic Design capabilities and willingness to learn and create appealing posts with Canva.com
- Working knowledge of Hootsuite Dashboard (or willingness to learn)
- Some familiarity with social media analytics like Hootsuite Analytics or Instagram Insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Positive outlook and passion
Watch Our 10th Drug Summit held on October 22, 2018
Past Event Info https://www.facebook.com/events/307629546635861/
Our first “Rebuild Your Family Workshop” was held on Saturday, November 3, from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the United Way, 240 Elm Street, Cumming GA 30040.
Presenters included internationally renowned interventionist Heather Hayes, Professional Counselor and Certified Interventionist Lou Ann Altshuler, and Certified Addiction Counselor and Anger Management Specialist Todd Stumbo.
The event was free with lunch included and limited to the first 40 participants to register.
The day consisted of a skill building workshop for families affected by the disease of addiction. It included learning about the disease of addiction, the difference between helping and enabling, how to set boundaries, and healthy communication skills.
We had fun putting our creative talents together this year to make our first ever scarecrow stand-up for Warbington Farms Scarecrow Trail in Cumming. Ours is a happy and carefree type of scarecrow stand-up that is perfect for pictures. Be sure to take a picture and share it with us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.